Call For A Friendly Chat On: 01865 391187

Can Social Services force me into a care home?
July 22, 2023

Social services would be very unlikely to force anyone into a care home. In fact, if you choose to be cared for in your own home, social workers will usually support this decision.

What steps might Social Services take?

Social Services have a duty of care for adults living in its area. They have to assess the needs of vulnerable adults and ensure they are being met. If they think these needs are not being met, then they can, in theory, place a person in an environment where they will be. However, this would be a last resort. Social Services would be keen to work with individuals to find alternative solutions if moving to a care home went against their wishes.

In fact, almost all care needs can be met at home with the right professional live-in care. So, if you arrange for a carer to come to your home and provide support at a level that Social Services agree meets your needs, then there is no cause for them to dispute your decision.

How can I reassure my family that I do not need to go into a care home?

While most families have their loved one’s best interests at heart, they may not be aware of all the possibilities available to provide care.

If you believe that home care or live-in care would suit you, then you may like to ask your family to find out more about how home care works. You can call us or visit our Live-in care page.

Mumby’s provides outstanding and award-winning live-in care. The team are proud and passionate ambassadors of this often preferred choice. We are happy to talk to your family about the benefits of live-in care vs care homes and why many people are choosing this option over a care home. You can also download the Better at Home Report to share with them.

What is Live-in Care?

Live-in care provides professional care at home. This allows your loved one to stay in the familiar surroundings of their own home while receiving the support they need to stay safe and happy.

Live-in carers can provide tailored support for a range of needs. This includes medical assistance, personal care, providing meals, helping your loved one get out and about, and offering companionship.

If you or your family have questions about how live-in care works, visit our webpage What is live-in care? Alternatively call our friendly and knowledgeable team on 01865 391187.

Will social services assess my care requirements?

If you believe you or a loved one need care and support, you should contact social services to request a care assessment.

They will then determine what support is appropriate. To be eligible for assistance, the individual will be unable to safely manage normal daily activities such as bathing, toileting, dressing and feeding, without support.

If you are considering live-in care, then a friendly and knowledgeable member of Mumby’s Live-in Care team can come and do a no-obligation free care assessment of your needs.

How can I pay for live-in care?

You will usually be means-tested to establish whether you are entitled to financial support to pay for your care needs. Means testing will take into account savings, together with income from benefits and pensions.

Currently, anyone with assets exceeding £23,250 is required to pay for their care. If your assets are between £14,250 and £23,250, the local council will fund some of your care, and you will have to pay the rest. In the case that your assets are less than £14,250, the local council will pay for your care.

There are some exceptions to these rules, and some benefits will not be taken into account.

For homeowners, live-in care can offer financial benefits over residential care. This is because the home value is not considered as part of the asset valuation for people in their own home.

Many people worry that live-in care will be too expensive. However, live-in care is comparable with the cost of a residential home.

If you have any questions about how you might pay for your home care, then please contact us on 0800 505 3511 for advice.

How will my care be provided?

If you are eligible for financial support, your local council can arrange home care services for you. Alternatively, you can choose to receive direct payments and arrange your own care.

If you are paying for your care, Social Services will still make an assessment to check what support you need. You can then arrange and pay for care yourself. Alternatively, you can ask Social Services to arrange your care for you.

What is NHS Continuing Healthcare?

There can be occasions, when a person’s health requirements are particularly high, where the NHS will meet all, or a large percentage of, your care costs. This is known as NHS Continuing Healthcare.

Continuing Healthcare begins with a checklist that is completed by a social worker or nurse. If the results from the questionnaire determine you may be eligible, you will be referred for a full assessment.

Why choose Mumby’s Live-in Care?

Our carers are fully trained to provide professional Live-in care. They undergo an extensive five-day induction. This is just one of the reasons we have been rated as Outstanding by the Care Quality Commission.

Mumby’s is a family-owned business. We pride ourselves on caring for your loved one like one of the family. Our attention to detail and desire to provide person-centred care to enhance client’s lives  has won us an accolade of care awards.

If you would like to discuss your care needs in complete confidence, please call our friendly and knowledgeable team on 01865 391187.

Useful Links

What is Live-in Care?

Why Choose Mumby’s Live-in Care

Live-in Care – How it works?

Is live in care cheaper than a nursing home?

Will social services pay for a live in carer?

Live-in care vs care home

Guide to Funding Live-in Care

Live-in Care vs Other Options