Call For A Friendly Chat On: 01865 391187

Will social services pay for a live-in carer?
July 22, 2023

If you are wondering will social services pay for a live-in carer, it is helpful to understand that social services will assess you for a live-in carer in a similar way to how they would for any other care.

When you choose to have a live-in carer, your care can either be privately funded or paid for by your local authority. If you hope to have your care funded by the local authority, then certain eligibility requirements need to be met. Firstly, the local council will want to assess your needs to decide what level of care is required. Secondly, they will want some financial information from you to ascertain whether you are eligible to have your care paid for by the local authority.

Will social services pay for a live-in carer?

If you want to know whether social service will pay for your care then there are two steps you need to follow, a needs assessment and a means test.

Needs assessment

Firstly, you should contact social services and request a care assessment. You will then receive a visit from someone from social services who will assess your care needs. This ensures you receive the right level of care. This does not mean you have to arrange your care through social services. You can still arrange care privately. However, if you would like to receive funding from the local authority you will need to have this assessment done.

The assessment will decide whether you are struggling with or unable to safely manage normal activities such as bathing toileting, dressing, or feeding without support.

Means test

Once you have been assessed, and social services have decided the level of care that you need, you will be means-tested to see whether you are eligible for help paying for that care. If you have assets of over £23,250 you may be asked to pay the full cost of care. If your assets are between £14,250 and £23,250 you may be asked to contribute towards the cost of care.

The council will not generally consider the assets of your spouse or partner in their calculations; however, they consider joint assets such as shared savings.

Some benefits are also considered when assessing your eligibility for financial support. However, many benefits are disregarded including:

  • Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment mobility components
  • Pension Credit Savings Credit
  • Social Fund payments and winter fuel payments
  • War widow and widower special payments
  • Charitable and voluntary payments
  • Child Tax Credit, Child Benefit, and Guardian’s Allowance
  • Personal injury trust payments
  • Veteran payments under the War Pension Scheme (except the Constant Attendance Allowance element)
  • £10 a week for War Widows, War Widower, or War Disablement Pension is not considered

Will my home be considered as part of my assets in my council care assessment?

Elderly HomeOne of the additional benefits of home care is that your home value will not be part of the asset valuation as you will still be living at home. If you choose to move to residential care your home may be considered in your means assessment. However, it will generally be disregarded if you live with a partner or child, or with a relative who is disabled or over the age of 60.

How will the money be paid?

If your local authority decides you are eligible for care, then you can choose to have this money paid in several ways.

You can have the money:

  • Paid to you to arrange care, known as direct payments
  • Paid to a third party such as a service provider or
  • Managed by the local authority.

You can also use a combination of these methods.

This allows you to choose how you access the care that you need and allows you to arrange live-in care if that is what you prefer.

Can I choose live-in care or will the council force me into a care home?

Your local authority cannot force you to move to a care home. They may be reluctant to fund live-in care, though. However, you can usually choose to receive the money by direct payments and use it to pay for a live-in carer. Alternatively, you may be able to have the money paid directly to your live-in care provider.

Mumby’s can help you navigate your way to care

Mumby’s expert and friendly team can help you navigate through the planning and arranging of live-in care for you or your loved one. If you have any questions or would like some help on how live-in care works, the costs of live-in care, and how to fund it, please call our knowledgeable advisors at 01865 391187, contact us, or email

Other useful links

Live in Care Costs and Funding

Guide to funding Live-in Care

What is the cost of Live-in Dementia Care?

Live-in Care Trial

What is Live in Care?